Monday, February 15, 2010

Fixing a Flat

Dad,

Today the tire on my stroller deflated while I was walking to the grocery store. I stopped and put air in it at the gas station. It deflated again while I was in the grocery store, so I knew I had a flat.

I pushed the stroller up the hill to a bike shop, about a half mile away. When I got there, the bike fix-it guy pulled the wire out of the tire and gave me a new tire. He said I could keep the old tire and patch it. I passed, and then I thought how thoroughly disappointed you would be.

You would have wanted me push the stroller home, flat tire and all. Then you'd tell me to fill some bin with water and make me move the tire in the water until I saw bubbles. Then yoiu'd have me find and use a patch kit to patch the hole.

I know how to repair a tire so well because you showed me about 5200 times "because someday you'll need to know how to fix a tire." Dad, thanks to you I know how to fix a tire, but I just choose not to do it.

Here's why:
I new tire costs $3.50 and takes 5 minutes for the bike guy to fix. A tire repair kit costs $2.25 and would entail me trying to find a bucket, search for the stupid hole and think there isn't one because I can't find the bubbles (I know I need glasses.), decide I'll just "patch" the entire tire because I am too lazy and already far too annoyed after spending a half hour on the thing. Yes, I know I could have saved $1.25 (which is Thrifty ice cream).

The point is that you did teach me well, and I can do it...if I want to.

Thanks for teaching me.

Love,

Cat

P.S. Maybe you should have taught me how to not be so lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment