Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'm sorry too!

Dear Dad,
I never got the chance to say I'm sorry.

I'm sorry that I told you my college chemistry class was harder than yours because in your day people didn't know as much as we do, therefore you didn't have as much to learn.

I'm sorry for all my B's...and the D+ I got in my freshman science class that I took my last semester of college and never went and just took the tests to see how well I could do without studying. But I was married then...so it shouldn't matter if you didn't pay for it, right?

I'm sorry for the thousands of dollars you spent on my tennis lessons and I never practiced and didn't even like the sport. And for all the times I banged my racket on the ground when I was mad and made sure you weren't watching.

I'm sorry that I never switched over to reading about Cambodia under Pol Pot's regime...or any other genocide and am still stuck on the Holocaust and Jewish history.

I'm sorry that you let me go all the way to Austria for a semester and I never listened in my art history class--it was my least favorite and I didn't learn anything about art.

I'm sorry that I never practiced the piano or clarinet and always fell asleep when you brought me to the opera--but my husband loves it and is musically talented so that should make up for something, right?

I'm sorry about the time I was really little, before our kitchen was remodeled, and you were leaning over and I came up and pinched your sides and it made you jump and hit your poor bald head on the corner of the kitchen cabinet. And you didn't even really get mad at me. At least not that you showed.

Sorry for all the time we went water ballooning and tp-ing in the summer. But it was really fun.

Sorry for all the times I cried about nothing.

Sorry for the movies I watched instead of reading or practicing things.

Sorry I reread the same books instead of branching out.

Sorry for all the classes I ditched in high school and all those times I didn't go to seminary.

But here I am with what will one day be a carload of kiddos who are your posterity whom I'm all breeding to be doctors, so I didn't turn out too badly, right?

Love, Susie

1 comment:

  1. That head-hitting part made me laugh. Real laugh.

    The posterity part made me cry. Real tear.

    You need to add:
    I'm sorry for not supporting the Palestinians for all the years you told me I should.

    ReplyDelete